Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Hollow Man

Often, on those more and more frequent nights where I cannot sleep, I find myself thinking about my ex-husband.  How could it be that I fell in love with some1 so Hollow?  I don’t know.  I try to think back to the beginning of our relationship.  We met in college.  I had dated a few boys in high school, but never got serious with anyone.  He took me to dinner.  He bought me flowers.  We had the same taste in books and movies.  But he never really swept me off my feet.  We were never madly in love.  We were comfortable.  I stayed with him because I could find no reason to leave him.  I married him after we graduated because it was what people did.  It took us a long time to conceive.  I believe this was because we did not often have sex, and when we did it was rude and mechanical.  At the time, this did not raise any flags.  My only defense is that I was somewhat naïve.  I though things were normal, because I did not know any other way.  I shudder to think about what he may have been picturing during those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment